8 April 2012

Fishing Lizard

 For the Easter holiday assignment following a Youtube tutorial by Bobby Chiu.

First the sketch was set to 'Multiply' and a dark greyish-blue colour was set to fill on the layer below to use as a base. I then added the tones of the creature on a new layer.
 Here on another new layer I added shadows and highlights as well as some tone on the floor.
 For this stage I added a 'color' layer and added the basic colours of the image. After this I made a new layer for the skin detail showing lighter and darker parts of the skin and giving it more texture.
 Here I added another layer, this one adding detail to the creatures scales and adding detail to the fish at the end of the rod, making the rod darker and adding in fingers. I also added some more highlights on its face
 For this part I added some backlight onto the creature in the opposite direction to the shadows and highlights.
Because my version of Photoshop doesn't have the Curve adjustment layer like in the tutorial, I used a Levels layer instead. To try and get a similar lighting effect I slid the grey and white triangles a little to make the picture lighter without making it look too drained. I then filled the adjustment layer with black and lightened some more areas by painting white onto the layer. I also added more details such as nostrils, specks on the eyes, darker patches on its head and some more highlights and shading and added extra detail to the fish. To finish off the picture I then added more colour to the skin by painting over parts of it with bright yellow on very low opacity.


The finished image. I'm pretty happy with how this turned out, the skin in particular :)

1 comment: